Sunday, February 20, 2011

It's Oscar-mania for S.I. chorus

Chorus Director Gregg Breinberg plays the piano during rehearsal in the auditorium at P.S. 22 in Staten Island.

Alvarez/News

Chorus Director Gregg Breinberg plays the piano during rehearsal in the auditorium at P.S. 22 in Staten Island.

It's the�biggest performance of their young lives, but members of Staten Island's world-famous school chorus aren't rattled by their upcoming trip to Hollywood.

The Public School 22 chorus will perform at the 83rd annual Academy Awards next weekend, and its members aren't feeling stage fright.

"I'm not nervous," said confident fifth-grader Jonathan, 10. "I'm used to this."

Indeed, the chorus has gained international acclaim thanks to YouTube videos of their jaw-dropping performances of songs like Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'."

But even with all that attention, nothing prepared the kids for actress Anne Hathaway's surprise visit to their school in December, inviting them to perform at the Oscars.

"I have a chance to shine in the light. It's my biggest experience yet!" said 10-year-old Denise. "We're going to the Oscars, baby!"

For many students, the only jitters stem from leaving their families for several days and flying 3,000 miles away.

"I'm not used to being away from my parents and going across the country," said Azaria, 10, who promised, "We are going to rip the walls from the Kodak Theater off!"

The chorus members, whose YouTube videos have attracted millions of views, are also looking forward to spending a day at Disneyland, where they'll perform in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Choral director Gregg Breinberg, 38, has been preparing his singing stars with two after-school practices each week, where they sing soul-stirring renditions of hits like Katy Perry's "Fireworks." (Their big number for Oscar night is being kept under wraps.)

"It's totally boosted their self-esteem," he said. "It's just amazing. Does it get any bigger than the Oscars?"

For Breinberg, known to his singers as Mr. B, the Oscar experience will be bittersweet, since his 96-year-old grandmother, Bertha Hall, died a month before the Hollywood debut.

"My grandmother was my musical inspiration. My kids, every year, we used to go and sing for her at her nursing home," he said. "When I lost my grandmother, I lost the person who's responsible for all my musicianship."

Breinberg says he expects his kids to get more nervous as the big night approaches.

"But I always tell them that's good. If you're not feeling nervous then something is wrong," he said. "They are going to Hollywood, and they are about to have a magical experience."

mfeeney@nydailynews.com

entertainment tonight entertainment weekly media services movies showcase cinemas

No comments:

Post a Comment