Tuesday, March 22, 2011

James Franco takes on Oscar telecast writer Bruce Vilanch

Published: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 10:48 AM ��� Updated: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 4:46 PM

Disastrous Oscar host James Franco fired back at Bruce Vilanch, the longtime joke writer for the telecast who told New York magazine yesterday that Franco didn't appear to understand what the job required.

Like, say, being awake.

"I don't think he realized how big a deal it is to do it until he was actually confronted with it," Vilanch says. "I think he thought he would kind of ... I don't know what he thought. I thought maybe it was a performance-art prank, and then I realized he sincerely wanted to do it. But it's outside of those guys' comfort zones. The only people who know how to host those shows are people who get up onstage every night and say, 'Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. A funny thing happened ... '"

That prompted Franco to tweet a photo of Franco posing with Vilanch the night of the ceremony, with a dialogue balloon apparently scripted by Franco coming out of Vilanch's mouth: "James [bleeped] up the Oscars. Trust me, I know comedy. I mean, come on, I write for Bette Midler!," according to the Huffington Post. Franco also tweeted: "Bruce, he let me down," but both the photo and the message have apparently been deleted from Franco's account.

UPDATE: They've made up. Vilanch sent a message to Franco says he was defending him, and was doing it in a light-hearted way, though that wasn't conveyed, and Franco accepted his apology.

media news media entertainment cinemas entertainment tonight entertainment weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment